This is information for Con-goers travelling to Edinburgh for Conpulsion.
Getting to Edinburgh
Edinburgh is Scotland’s capital city and there are many ways to get here.
- By Air. There are frequent services flying to Edinburgh Airport via BA, BMI, Aer Lingus, EasyJet, RyanAir, Germanwings, Flybe, KLM, etc. [List of Airlines and Destinations]. To get into town from the airport there is an excellent airport bus service (Airlink Express: £6 adult/£3 child open return, £3.50/£2 one-way). Alternatively, a taxi from the airport taxi rank will be ~£20 to the City Centre, while the No. 35 Lothian Bus is £1.40 adult/£0.70 child.
- By Train. There are also frequent services to Edinburgh Waverley train station. Edinburgh Waverley is within walking distance of Teviot Row House, the Conpulsion venue.
- By Bus. Megabus, CityLink and National Express go to/from Edinburgh’s St Andrews Square central bus station from a vast list of places. More locally Lothian Buses have frequent buses across the city and a flat fee structure, £1.40/£0.70 single (adult/child), £3.50/£2 day ticket.
- By Tram. Not yet. No. And don’t bring it up in conversation.
Staying in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a busy and large city with many places to stay to suit all budgets. Teviot has a postcode of EH8 9AJ, so use Google Maps to check where accommodation is relative to the convention venue before booking.
- Hostels such as 50 Blackfriars Street are not too far from the con. Argyle Backpackers is nice and near. General hostel booking is here.
- B&Bs from Booking.com.
- Hotels nearby to Teviot, including the Apex International and Ibis. If you are loaded stay at the Scotsman or the Balmoral.
- Apartments in Edinburgh City Centre might be your thing too.
Parking in Edinburgh
Edinburgh City Council has controlled parking, and many parking wardens. Read signs carefully when parking your car, and be aware of Permit Holder Only zones/spaces.
- Edinburgh City Council has a site dedicated to parking in Edinburgh.
- Parkopedia maps the car parks of Edinburgh. Quartermile NCP is the nearest 24-hr multi-storey car park to the venue – Day Rates are listed on their website, note that it has a Night Rate (19:00-07:30) of £5.
- Parking on George Square at the rear of the venue is free on Sundays, but £2/hour on other days of the week.
Food in Edinburgh
We joke, of course. There are many great places to get fed in Edinburgh while you are visiting Conpulsion.
- Teviot Row House. The food available at the Conpulsion venue is varied, tasty and cheap (the advantage of a great Students Union).
- Union of Genius. A glorious soup cafe that is partnering with us over the con weekend. They are very nearby on Forrest Road.
- Palmyra. Fantastic and cheap Lebanese food, very near to Teviot.
- The Mosque Kitchen. Tasty and popular curry.
- The nearest Nando’s is on Chambers Street.
- The Cruelty Free Guide to Edinburgh lists vegan-friendly restaurants.
- The Auld Hoose are giving Conpulsion ticket holders a nice 15% off food orders for the duration of the convention.
- There are many other restaurants near Bristo Square (and some are shown here).
- Here is a map showing chemists/pharmacies near Bristo Square.
- Edinburgh is famed for its Museums and Art Galleries. The National Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street near Teviot is particularly brilliant (and free).
- Edinburgh has a host of parks. Here are the ones nearest Teviot.
- Arthur’s Seat is something that should be climbed while you are in Edinburgh (if the weather is good).
- And you should probably see Holyrood (with Holyrood Palace where the Queen stays when visiting Scotland) and the Parliament.